Besides being hugely attractive, a style icon and ‘ambassador of British fashion 2018′ David Beckham is also one of the best midfielders and most famous English soccer players. The footballer rose to prominence with his powerful right foot, passing ability, and signature curled free-kicks. In 2004, the legendary Pelé called Beckham one of the 100 greatest living players. David Beckham OBE is a former professional footballer and currently the President & Co-owner of Inter Miami CF (Miami Freedom Park LLC) and co-owner of Salford City.
David Robert Joseph Beckham was born in Leytonstone, England on May 2, 1975 to Sandra Georgina and David Edward Alan Beckham. He grew up with his elder sister Lynne Georgina and younger sister Joanne Louise. David attended the Chase Lane Primary School and Chingford County High School but more than studies enjoyed his time playing football at Ridgeway Park. His parents were Manchester United fans so football was always a topic of conversation at home. His father was also a coach for a local team Ridgeway Rovers. Further trained at Bobby Charlton’s Football School and at FC Barcelona, he was already the Under-15 Player of the Year in 1990. From a young age and by the time he was 18 years, played for Manchester United’s first team. On July 8, 1991, he was signed up as a trainee by Manchester United.
David, the skilled footballer had just entered the field.
A Manchester United Star
David’s popularity began to grow as he scored for Manchester United. He made the senior team debut in 1992, and from 1995-96 season to the next 8 seasons led the team towards 6 Premier League titles. Beckham scored 62 goals and became an international football star.
In 2003, Beckham’s lifestyle created a rift with his coach Alex Ferguson who apparently kicked Beckam on his face. Unable to continue United Manchester sold Beckham to Real Madrid for €37 million.
Kicking around the world
From 2003 to 2007, David Beckham played for Real Madrid in the Spanish league La Liga. From there he moved to the United States signing up a contract for USD 32.5 million with the MLS for the LA Galaxy. In 2013, he went to play for PSG in the French league. David Beckham retired from football at the end of the 2013 season.
FIFA World Cups
David Beckham was initially a substitute at the 1998 World Cup. In the round of 16 match against Argentina, Beckham was sent off for kicking Diego Simeone while lying on the pitch. For this he faced the wrath of numerous fans and sadly England even lost the match on penalties.
During the 2002 World Cup, Beckham was the team captain of England but he was unable to lead his team to victory. They lost to Brazil in the quarter-finals.
Beckham’s final world cup tournament was the 2006 World Cup. By scoring a free-kick winner in the round of 16 against Ecuador, he helped the team reach the quarter-finals. Sadly, Beckham the team Captain got dehydrated, could not ply further and had to be substituted after half-time against Portugal. Portugal scored on penalties and won the game. A day later, Beckham stepped down as team captain.
David Beckham scored a goal in all three World Cups.
- Manchester United (1992–2003)
- Preston North End (1994–1995, loan)
- Real Madrid (2003–2007)
- LA Galaxy (2007–2012)
- Milan (2009, loan)
- Milan (2010, loan)
- Paris Saint-Germain (2013)
- Club football: 523 matches, 97 goals
- National team: 115 matches, 17 goals
(Clubs and Stats courtesy Football History)
“Posh and Becks” began to date in 1997 and were married on July 4, 1999, at Luttrellstown Castle in Ireland. The wedding reception that cost £500,000 sold rights to OK! Magazine to obtain exclusive photos for an undisclosed amount. In 1999, shortly after the wedding the couple bought a country house set in 24 acres in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire, which the media nicknamed “Beckingham Palace”.
David and Posh Spice Victoria Beckham have four children: sons Brooklyn Joseph, Romeo James, Cruz David and daughter Harper Seven
David’s celebrity status was also sprinkled with few allegations. He was said to have an extramarital affair with his former personal assistant Rebecca Loos in 2004. In the same year the Malaysian-born Australian model Sarah Marbeck claimed that she had slept with Beckham on two occasions. In September 2010, prostitute Irma Nici and several others said in the magazine In Touch that they had sex with David. David refuted every allegation and stepped up as the clean Family Man.
Orders and special awards
- Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) by Queen Elizabeth II: 2003
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) Goodwill Ambassador (2005–present)
- “Britain’s Greatest Ambassador” – 100 Greatest Britons awards
- The Celebrity 100, number 15 – Forbes, 2007
- Number 1 on the list of the 40 most influential men under the age of 40 in the UK Arena, 2007
- Time 100: 2008
- Gold Blue Peter Badge winner, 2001
- Do Something Athlete Award, 2011
- A.C. Milan Hall of Fame
(Information credits: David Beckham Wikipedia page)
Get to know the real David Beckham
- He has two middle names Robert and Joseph.
- When he went to play for Real Madrid, since jersey #7 was taken, David chose #23 because it was Michael Jordan‘s number whom he highly admired.
- David Beckham made the Adidas Predator boots famous.
- In 2008, David Beckham made it to the English Football Hall of Fame.
- David popularised the pompadour hairstyle trend of the 2010’s
- He has close to 50 tattoos inspired by religion, family and football, mostly designed by Louis Malloy tattoo artist in Manchester. The most famous is the Gothic one at the back of his neck with an outline of a cross and wings placed above his sons name Romeo.
- Beckham has 52 million likes on Facebook, and 63 million followers on Instagram.
- Beckham suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), which according to his wife Victoria makes him “have everything in a straight line or everything has to be in pairs. If there’s three cans, he’ll throw one away because it has to be an even number.”
- David is still a sought after British model endorsing Adidas, Coty, H&M, Sainsbury’s, Samsung, and Breitling.
- David Beckham the UNICEF ambassador has created his own fund called ‘7’, to raise money to support its work.
- In 2020, David Beckham’s net worth is estimated at USD 450 Million.